Email Security Service Providers: What They Do and How to Choose One
Email is one of the most commonly used communication tools in the world. It is also one of the most commonly used attack vectors for cybercriminals. In 2022, there were an estimated 3.1 billion email attacks, resulting in billions of dollars in damage.
Email security service providers offer a variety of services to help protect businesses and individuals from email attacks. These services can include:
- Spam filtering: Spam filtering helps to reduce the amount of spam that you receive.
- Phishing protection: Phishing protection helps to identify and block phishing emails.
- Malware protection: Malware protection helps to identify and block malware-infected emails.
- Data loss prevention: Data loss prevention helps to prevent sensitive data from being sent or received in emails.
- Encryption: Encryption helps to protect the confidentiality of emails.
- Reporting: Reporting helps you to track and monitor email security threats.
When choosing an email security service provider, it is important to consider your needs and budget. Some providers offer a variety of features, while others offer a more limited set of features. It is also important to make sure that the provider you choose is reputable and has a good track record of security.
Here are some of the most popular email security service providers:
- Mimecast: Mimecast offers a comprehensive suite of email security services, including spam filtering, phishing protection, malware protection, data loss prevention, and encryption.
- Proofpoint: Proofpoint also offers a comprehensive suite of email security services, including spam filtering, phishing protection, malware protection, data loss prevention, and encryption.
- Barracuda: Barracuda offers a variety of email security services, including spam filtering, phishing protection, malware protection, and data loss prevention.
- Cisco Umbrella: Cisco Umbrella offers a cloud-based email security service that provides protection against spam, phishing, malware, and other threats.
- Trend Micro Email Security: Trend Micro Email Security offers a comprehensive suite of email security services, including spam filtering, phishing protection, malware protection, data loss prevention, and encryption.
By choosing a reputable email security service provider, you can help to protect your business or organization from email attacks.
In addition to the above, here are some other tips that can help to improve your email security:
- Use strong passwords. Your email password should be at least 12 characters long and include a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. You should also never reuse passwords across different accounts.
- Be careful about what you click on. Never click on links in emails from senders you don’t know or trust. If you’re not sure if an email is legitimate, you can hover your mouse over the link to see the actual URL. If the URL looks suspicious, don’t click on it.
- Be careful about what you open. Never open attachments in emails from senders you don’t know or trust. Even if the attachment looks like it’s from a legitimate source, it could be infected with malware. If you’re not sure if an attachment is safe, you can scan it with an antivirus program.
- Keep your software up to date. Software updates often include security patches that can help protect you from known vulnerabilities. Make sure to install software updates as soon as they’re available.
- Use a spam filter. A spam filter can help to reduce the amount of spam that you receive. This can help to protect you from phishing attacks and other types of email scams.
- Be aware of phishing attacks. Phishing attacks are emails that are designed to trick you into giving up personal information, such as your passwords or credit card numbers. Phishing emails often look like they’re from legitimate sources, such as your bank or credit card company. If you receive an email that asks for personal information, don’t click on any links or open any attachments. Instead, contact the company directly to verify the authenticity of the email.
- Use two-factor authentication (2FA). 2FA adds an extra layer of security to your email account. When you enable 2FA, you’ll be required to enter a code from your phone in addition to your password when you sign in to your email account. This can help to protect your account from unauthorized access.
By following these tips, you can help to protect yourself from email attacks.